xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The green national parks--Mountains in there somewhere

Wednesday, September 11, 2019

End of the Tunnel




I have driven three days from home, leaving cities and traffic in order to reach wide open Montana and Idaho.  My last long drive was to Fairbanks, Alaska, in mid-winter.  So much has happened since then that it feels a long time ago, a kind of tunnel that finally saw light. 













With speed limit 80mph, I made good time to the quaint and historic town of Wallace, Idaho.  After a day of cycling, I write to you about tunnels and trestles—trains and  places that stand as symbols for other things.  










Here is the entrance to the tunnel of my choosing.  It’s on the Hiawatha Bicycle Trail where trains used to rumble in 1903.  











Like the Gold Line in Pasadena, feelers reached up to an overhead wire, sucking energy.  










Once inside the mountain I saw nothing except by the light on my bicycle.  I shouted hello, but nobody answered.  Water dripped from the ceiling and trickled in ditches on both sides of former steel rails.  Can you see that small pinhole of light far off in the darkness?  Was it the end of the tunnel, or something else?  













I rode for a mile before realizing it was the end, in the way that hope sometimes precedes a thing hoped for.   













The railroad pushed through rugged mountains with about as much length in tunnels and trestles as in graded roadbed.  Now, instead of traveling in darkness with a mountain on top of me, I was flying over a canyons on a trestle.  










Like a bird, I swooped over the tops of trees and appreciated the great effort and ingenuity that built these high bridges in 1903.   








Where I not riding through tunnels or over trestles, the old railroad looks like a country road.  The difference is that it holds a steady two-percent grade no matter the terrain, where a country road is more like a roller coaster. 























Michael Angerman has prepared a map showing all of my nightly sleeping places, as he has done for my trips many times before.  From this you can trace my route.  He updates it almost daily Thank you, Michael.  Please click here:  Michael's Map

10 comments:

  1. top of the pines
    or pin holes
    in a mountain tunnel
    the best way out
    is always through

    *****

    she flies over
    the tips
    of the pines
    with bicycle wings
    and nary a prayer

    ******

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lois, I love these. I get them in relation with the pictures and with my story, but metaphor beyond pictures and story is what struck me in your poems.

      Delete
  2. Over the Bridge

    And the view
    was so
    enthralling

    and the ravine
    so far so very far
    down

    drowning in
    white waters
    that I had to park

    my bicycle
    and stand
    on the railing and

    spreading my arms
    I jumped.
    And I flew and flew

    and flew
    and when I hit
    a rock or two

    I don't remember
    the rest of the story
    except the wetness..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Alex, I was laughing and thinking about crying instead. You've got inside my head again, carried a perfectly true tale off to wonderlands and terrorlands. Thank you.

      Delete
  3. Wow, that tunnel and that bridge! You are true adventurer! I feel dizzy just looking at them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Keiko, then I have succeeded. I don't do it to scare or enthrall, but share what others don't get to do.

      Delete
  4. The Other Jonas

    And the tunnel
    length was long
    so very long

    one couldn't
    see its end.
    Not even

    a pinhole.
    Not a silhouette
    of two children

    at its end
    to brighten
    the mood.

    And before
    I knew it
    I crossed

    the mountain
    via its gut.
    This one

    is for you Jonas
    and to hell
    with your whale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of your best, Alex. You give me insights into my own adventures that embarrass me to think I did not think of them.

      Delete
  5. we've got to get in to get out....

    one of my favorite songs:
    Carpet Crawlers, Genesis, 1974

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And one of my favorites is "Wade in the Water" Southern slaves had to get into the river and wade there to avoid the tracking dogs as then tried to escape.

      Delete