xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The green national parks--Mountains in there somewhere

Saturday, September 28, 2019

Today in the Forest





Yesterday in the forest of Olympic National Park, I found myself again.   Transported to a vast quiet park.  A fairytale kingdom where no one else was.  











Small green plants that flying birds and businessmen miss within the lawn of forest below.  Significant as stars above for morning meanderers and creeping slugs among the trees.  











Familiar with both joys and sorrows
of solitude
the joys surpass them

when I was lonelier than alone
I missed the conversation going on around me
when merely alone, I don’t miss nearly as much.    





Trees so tall
straight and dense
I’m an ant crawling in grass
so many stems
only an occasional ray
suggests light
beyond this forest
the weakness and smallness
of humans







They told him to build a bridge
across a little creek
on a trail so little used
he’d likely get no comments

the artist had but one to please
a bridge of logs and planks would work
but would not join the grandeur of this place
so with thought of more than function
he pleased my eye today
not just my feet    





Lake Angeles
.






The bottom side of a turned-up tree

The roots of an old pine grasp the ground
as if to say “this is where I began,”
“this is where I’ll end.” –
Lois Jones     







“Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.  Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.  The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy, while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn.”  John Muir

If John said that to me I’d follow him anywhere.  And I almost did.  





Click any picture to enlarge it.

Michael Angerman has prepared a map showing all of my nightly sleeping places, as he has done for my trips many times before.  From this you can trace my route.  He updates it almost daily.  Thank you, Michael.  Please click here:  Michael's Map





P.S.  That was yesterday.  This morning I set out again into the wilderness, but came to a closed road.  Contrary to the weather forecast, ten inches of snow fell in the night.  Here's a picture looking up at where I want to be


7 comments:

  1. I'm here and reading Sharon. Just count me as one of the whispering leaves on your path. I'm reading near 500 books but your photos are the perfect notes in between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are present and accounted for, Lois, whispering leaf. Your near 500 books sound in my ear like the near 15 miles I have to go, when I have hiked only one.

      Delete
  2. There was snow on the mountain this morning! Please notice the P.S. I have added to this blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. on the photo of the bridge- I saw
    bleached bones
    the torso dressed
    in ferns and moss

    for him
    who lost his way

    a final resting place

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your imagination, Erika, is liberating. I am a bean next to a beanstock.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some of your most beautiful writing here, Sharon. and exquisite photos. love your "fairytale kingdom"

    Love Lois and Erika responses and poems you inspired too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It feels like a place of mystery and legend in these deep lowland forests with every hue and shade of green, and hidden things in dark hollows of monster trees. Even if I don't get close to Mt. Olympus with its six glaciers, I'm glad I came.

      Delete