xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The green national parks--Mountains in there somewhere

Sunday, September 29, 2019

Snow




A surprise snowstorm came in the night making Mt. Olympus white and all the peaks around it.  Snow fell halfway down to Port Angeles.  Roads into the high country remain closed two days later.  They will eventually close for the winter, but nobody expected ten inches of snow in late September.   











A little town on Puget Sound 



While waiting for snow to melt or be scraped off roads, I’ve wandered the low country, looking for hardwoods donning fall  fashion, whales spouting in Puget Sound, and country roads offering brief jaunts into the forest.










Cape Flattery is interesting as the upper left corner of the American dream.  It’s the most northwesterly point in the lower 48, and quite rugged to look at without falling in.













A little yellow tree shows off to the big green.  
Her time has come to shine.  











From the shore at Port Angeles, I’m looking up at unseasonably snowy mountains, beautifully unbelievable, given this long-planned and carefully executed trip to walk among them.  No snap judgement, just carry on a while.    









You can see part of the trail that led to this situation on a map prepared by Michael Angerman showing all of my nightly sleeping places.  From this you can trace my route.  Thank you, Michael.  Please click here:  Michael's Map

4 comments:

  1. Your photos remind me that one is never alone in such deep beauty. I often dream of living at the edge of somewhere looking out to a place like Cape Flattery. I don't know why I yearn for that kind of isolation. Perhaps it's because the internet keeps us from ever being too far away from the shore. I'm sorry you've plans have been waylaid but happy for your stunning views.



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lois, Maybe we yearn for that kind of isolation the way John Muir said: “Thousands of tired, nerve-shaken, over-civilized people are beginning to find out that going to the mountains is going home; that wildness is a necessity” And he didn't even have internet.

      Delete
    2. ten feet of the unexpected
      snow water earth or friends
      life creates improvisation
      brilliance of surprise limitations
      with rich rewards

      hearts open
      to a detour. . .
      into the wild

      Love from
      Kath Abela
      P.s. I do my tai chi around your projection screen it makes surprisingly silly imrovisations...
      Should I put it away? Or... maybe home soon?

      Delete
    3. Ten inches actually, but for the sake of tai chi I'll accept feet. I wont be back for at least two weeks; I'm surprised the screen stayed up this long. Hearts open to detours are hearts open to rich rewards.

      Delete