xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The green national parks--Mountains in there somewhere

Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Riding the Rain






I have just bicycled around Mt. Olympus.  It took eight days, lots of rain and lots of steep hills, and I have tales to tell.  A typical section of road is shown in these two pictures, but usually not with such a fine misty view ahead.  Often the view is a passing logging truck or RV.  








Sometimes the road was rough and lonely, and once I got lost. It was a fatal kind of getting lost except that an angel appeared and rescued me.  Signs are not good on the Olympic Discovery Trail and sometimes the maps they provide are often wrong.  But somehow each day I made it to a bed. 










Miller House




Facilities are far apart, and some are classy.  But my favorite kind of café is Miller House in Elma where the waitress talks to me and the food is homey and good.  Local retired men talk to me too, wondering what drives me.  










Some places are funky for tourists.  Fat Smitty’s has about thirty thousand dollars hanging around, so they estimate.  It’s about time to take it all down, give it to charity and start again.  I recognize one of the dollars.  











I always start riding early, and out of Bremerton, sunrise over Puget Sound was a welcome sight after rain the entire previous day.  












On the final ride from Sequim to Port Angeles today, Olympic Discovery Trail was easy to follow and a great relief from traffic.






Michael Angerman has prepared a map showing all of my nightly sleeping places, as he has done for my trips many times before.  From this you can trace my route.  He updates it almost daily Thank you, Michael.  Please click here:  Michael's Map

2 comments:

  1. Very strenuous and still full of beauty --I can see. Love your dollar bill. Sending love into your journey-- have been reading and following hope you can feel our encouragement! Love and hugs from Kathabela



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. “Strenuous and Full of Beauty” - a definition of good living. I think we both do it in our own ways.

      Delete